March 19, 2009

Watchmen Movie

Yesterday we saw Watchmen at Prangin Mall.

I read the Watchmen comic about 7 years ago. The comic is very good.

It is about heroes. Most things you will read will tell you that it is about superheroes. I disagree. A superhero is, for me, someone who has powers beyond normal human ability. There is only one character in Watchmen who has powers beyond normal human ability.

Honestly though, it does not matter. Watchmen is NOT an action comic/movie. It is story driven, character development driven, et cetera.

I can see how it can be confusing for viewers who have not read Watchmen to think that the movie is something like X-Men. But this is not X-Men. This is Watchmen. :-)

I enjoyed the movie, but I think they tried too hard to give background to each character. They wanted to show the internal conflicts of each character. How each person thinks and develops. The problem is that this made the movie, frankly, a bit boring for a fan of the comic. I can only imagine how boring it would be for everyone else.

If you want to watch the movie I think that reading the comic first is the best thing to do. It will give you a better chance of enjoying this movie.

Oh, and it is pretty long. I think it is almost 3 hours long!

No comments:

Post a Comment