April 8, 2010

Bujinkan, acrobatics or martial arts?

So, I have attended 3 classes of Bujinkan so far.

In the first class I learned how to do a very strange running evasion technique, how to do side rolls and how to do backward rolls. I was already pretty good at rolling from all of my years of playing at acrobatics, so I only had to learn minor variances on what I already knew.

In the second class I learned how to do forward side rolls and a basic stance/evasion stepping combination. They covered forward rolls, but I already knew how to do those. The instructor likes to skip you past things if you already know how to do them, so I did not have to practice what I already knew.

The first two classes were in an indoor, open-air, location on a hardwood floor.

The third class we trained outside in the grass (much to my joints' mutual relief!). We worked on ukemi, falling techniques. I am pretty good at acrobatics, but not at just simply falling to the ground, I found out.

We started with forward falls. The way that it is done in Bujinkan is a little different than other styles. Your arms are in front of you, but your elbows are pushed as close together as possible, you land on your palms and lower your elbows to the ground after that to absorb the shock. At the same time you thrust your legs out behind you, pushing up on to the balls of your feet so that only your arms, hands and toes are touching the ground.

Then, we worked on backwards falls. This involves rocking back on your back, and slapping your palms and then arms, again absorbing the shock, pulling your knees to your chest as you rock. Then you rock back forward, drop one foot to the ground and kick out with the other foot as though you were kicking someone in the leg.

After that, we worked on side falls. To start we knelt with one leg up and one knee on the ground then rolled onto our hip and then to our back, throwing the same side's palm to the ground and throwing the same side's leg to the ground parallel to the arm while pulling the opposite side's leg up so that the foot is resting on the ground with the knee in the air.

Then we started doing the falls over a human target. One person would fall into a ball and we had to use them as an obstacle to help us with our falls.

We practiced rolls for a long time before we started doing side falls downhill, using the same technique as before to stop ourselves from rolling down the hill.

I have not learned any attacks yet. But, that is expected. I have to learn how to protect myself from harm before I can learn to harm.

I am enjoying the class quite a lot. I feel better, despite the lumps and bruises from each class, for doing this. I want to make it my habit to practice what I learn each day at least a little. That way I can improve and get a lot more exercise than what I had been getting in the last few years.

I would really enjoy losing about 10kg of fat. That would make me thinner, but still not super-skinny like I used to be.

Continued practice of Bujinkan should help me a lot and later I will be able to pass what I learn, and what I know, to our child. That should be interesting and fun at the same time. I have quite a few crazy things that I can teach to our child, hopefully Siew does not want to kill me for doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment