December 28, 2008

Ip Man

We went to see the movie Ip Man tonight.

I was excited to see this as I used to study Wing Chun.

When I was a teenager the only martial art available where I lived was Wing Chun. Sifu Jerry Bolding is the head of the school. He studied under William Cheung. William Cheung studied under Ip Man.

As you can see, my teenage training is not far removed from Ip Man himself and I was curious to see what they would put into the movie.

I thought it was great. Donnie Yen did a very good job sticking to techniques, although ironically I didn't see much Chi Sau (sticking hands technique) used in this movie.

I quit studying when I was at level 4, Sifu wanted me to test for level 5. Level 10 is instructor level (kind of like black belt). I am not sure why I quit, but I did. Worse, I stopped practicing. Now I can't even remember the Sil Lum Tao.

What's Sil Lum Tao? It's the first form in Wing Chun.

*sigh* Oh well for now. It was a good movie. I definitely recommend it.

1 comment: