December 28, 2008

Computer utility worth noting.

Eraser is a useful program.

It's an open-source program that actually erases what's deleted.

"What?!" you ask. "When I empty the recycle bin things are deleted!" you exclaim.

Well, listen up my naive friends! I have news for you.

Windows does NOT delete things when you delete them and empty your recycle bin. This includes contaminated files (virus, trojan, spywre, etc.)!

You don't believe me? Well then please read on. When most Operating Systems delete data they do not really delete the data. Instead the data is flagged as a space that can be written over. This allows data to be recovered by people who want to do so.

How does this affect you? Well, let's say you have a file that contains your personal bank account information and you delete it. It's gone, right? Wrong. Let's also say someone happens to have their eye on your fancy laptop and steals it. Now, if they're savvy enough they can retrieve that important file that you "deleted" and have access to more information than you thought you had on the computer. Double whammy!

You still don't believe me?! Jeesh, ok ok. Read this. I would also recommend that you do more research on your own, never trust just one source.

This is were programs like Eraser are so important. They do multiple passes of overwriting to make sure the data is actually deleted. This is important for your security, but also for protecting your computer.

Why? Well, if a malicious person writes a virus that can remain active in that deleted limbo state. . . it won't go away. That's not a comforting thought.

How do I prevent this? What about Anti-Virus?

You prevent it by using Eraser or something like it.

Anti-Virus is important, but it may let things slip through the cracks. Many people use the most popular anti-virus programs like Norton. They think this keeps them safe from all threats. This is not the case.

An AV program is only as good as its scanner and detection list. If someone write a completely new virus, you have no protection.

Scary? Well, here's some good news. You can prevent things like this by following safer computer use practices.

Don't surf recklessly. Use a "safer" browser like Firefox. That's not enough by itself though. You have to be very careful about visiting sites without thinking about what kind of nasty person has embedded something to steal your information through a virus or a trojan.

I suggest using these 2 Firefox extensions:

Not only does using these help speed up internet page loading, but they also help protect you from virus/trojan infection and help you to avoid unwanted advertisements.

Don't install applications without scanning them first. Applications that are infected and installed just gave you a friend that's hard to get rid of. Use a virus scanner before installing, always. There are tons of free scanners out there, but even those can be a problem sometimes. Some people make scanners that say that you have an infection, but you need to pay to be disinfected. This is a scam! They just want your money.

No legit scanners will do this. The companies that make legit scanners want you to buy the full version, of course!, but they do not require it. Here are some free anti-virus programs:

Personally, I use Clamwin. I do not like active background scanners. You can stop gasping now. Seriously.

Here's why: I practice what I preach. I'm careful about what I look at and what I install. I run Clamwin occassionally and I also run online anti-virus scans. These are beneficial as they can catch things that other programs might have left out. I like F-Secure's online scan. I do want to point out that F-Secure's online scanner does not work in Firefox. I have to use Internet Exploder (Internet Explorer to most of you) for this scan. That's the only time I ever use that craptastic browser.

Other things that will help protect you. Avoid using E-mail programs. Things like Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird, Inredimail, etc. are open doors to virus and trojan infections.

Why?

Look at this way. Someone sends you an e-mail. To open that e-mail with one of these programs you have to download it to your computer. So you download and open the e-mail. SOME of these programs are set automatically to open all attachments. This automatically installs any happy little virus or trojan on your computer. You're inviting disaster much more easily this way.

Here's what I do. I leave the e-mail on someone else's computer.

Again with the gasping! Stop that!

I don't expect to receive anything so important in e-mail. If I do then the person sending it is stupid.

I use e-mail for communication, but I avoid anything that is really really important in that means.

This keeps me and my expensive computer safer.

What else can you do? Stop using Windows.

What? How?

Use another operating system. Computers have other options like using Linux or switching to Mac. Personally I'd rather saw off my own leg. But there are some twisted people out there who like Macs. Seriously, they're just twisted.

Linux has so many different builds that it's hard to write virus or trojan software that will have any effect on these systems.

Mac has very few virus or trojan threats, but that's because it's not as commonly known, and it's better designed than Windows.

I like Ubuntu. It's a nice, easy to use, Linux Operating System.

Oh, Linux can be installed on a Mac as well.

Anyway, get some protection. Let Eraser help you really delete those files when you delete them. Also, once in awhile, allow it to erase free space.

Why?

Agh, so many questions!

Ok, ok, I'll tell you. It'll make sure anything you deleted is really gone, any lurking nasties are gone, and help clear up any other clutter that might cause your computer issues. This saves you money and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment