August 29, 2013

Reclaim your "child."

I just posted this on Facebook and Google+, this version is slightly longer though:

Today we went to out to do some things. We needed to get Sylvia's passport and consular report of birth abroad. We took the LRT, light rail train, to go out. Siew took a slightly different route since I was headed to the embassy to collect Sylvia's documents. She took the kids to KLCC so Felix could play there. They have a great park with lots of playground equipment and a kids' swimming pool.

I walked to the embassy and proceeded to wait, and wait, and wait. Finally my number was called. I went up, showed them the papers and within a few minutes I was finished. I teased the lady at the counter that she wouldn't see us again, we're not having anymore kids. She said we should have 3. I told her that that was not happening. Usually she's a very serious lady, but this time around I was able to break the ice a bit. After that I walked to KLCC and found Siew.

Felix was running around the playground at that point, so I joined him. We have fun running around and jumping around. I enjoyed being able to run freely, despite my recent, frequent shoulder pain. My recently glue Vibram Five Fingers are holding up pretty well, although the rubber has hardened a bit, so they allowed me to bounce about like a kid. Felix was playing with a boy who was with his father. The boy is 4, but Felix is taller than he is. The boy's father commented to Siew that it seemed like I was having more fun playing than Felix was. I know that's not entirely true, but I was having fun.

It feels great to move around freely like that. Being limited in our movements on a daily basis is something I had never noticed. In general, as we grow up, we forget how to play like kids; free, unlimited, without notions of impossibility. Being able to flow and bounce around, jumping from things and up onto things felt so great. It made me realize that I've lost, but can reclaim, a part of my life that I didn't realize I had lost.

I hope that I can teach the kids some of my "tricks" to movement, and that they will develop their own. I also hope that they will live more as kids, in this respect, and not grow "old."

I'm posting it here since I haven't posted anything in a long, long time. I might just have to start updating this again. We'll see, I have some other ideas for blogs, so I might create new blogs, or throw those things into this one, even if that makes things a mess.

Now, go and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment